If you are planning to create an aerial yoga set-up at your house, then you will need to purchase reliable aerial yoga swings, aerial hammocks, and other needed equipment.
Apart from purchasing the best anti-gravity yoga equipment on the market, you also need to ensure that the swings and hammocks are properly installed to ensure safety.
So, how do you install yoga swings safely at home?
Well, the process is not as complicated as it appears. In this yoga swings rigging guide, we will provide you with relevant information about installing aerial yoga swings at home, to ensure they are secure and safe.
As the name suggests, aerial yoga involves suspending yourself in mid air, often upside down, using yoga swings and hammocks. Therefore, safety with your yoga swings rigging is paramount.
If aerial yoga swing installation is not done properly, it may lead to accidents and injuries. Here are some of the safety considerations when installing hanging yoga swing in your house:
- Ensure you have enough space: Space availability is vital when making the most of a home anti-gravity yoga studio. There are certain horizontal and vertical space requirements that you should follow, to make sure you have free and unobstructed space to do your workouts. First, you will need a minimum of 2 meters in height, to suspend your yoga swings. Second, you will require a 2 meter radius horizontal space from the anchor point. This will also ensure you are safe in case you fall out of your yoga hammocks! Also, you will need some space for a crash mat if you decide to use one.
- Choose yoga swings rigging carefully: The rigging configuration is without a doubt, the most important part of your aerial yoga swing installation. So, it’s important to choose a configuration that can comfortably support your weight, without damaging the anchor points. When it comes to rigging your inversion slings, you need to choose an anchor point that can support a weight load of 1000kg. Also, it’s highly advisable to consult a certified rigger on how to mount yoga swings. They will help you to choose a point that can comfortably handle the shock load created by your drops and movements. It’s important to note that installing hanging yoga swing in your house can affect your insurance. Therefore, ensure you do some research prior to installing it.
- Follow safety precautions always: If you intend to install aerial yoga rigs in your house, then it’s important to follow safety precautions always. If you fail to follow safety precautions, you may end up with injuries, which may hinder you from mastering aerial yoga poses.
So, what safety precautions should you observe when installing yoga swings at home?
- First, ensure you buy high-quality yoga swings. Make sure you conduct thorough research on the various suppliers and check online reviews about their products. Your yoga swing will be supporting your body weight. Therefore, you need to buy reliable and quality equipment.
- Second, make sure you purchase top-quality brackets and yoga swings rigging etc for the installation.
- Third, hire a professional to help install your yoga swings if you are at all unsure about the procedure or safety.
- Fourth, check your yoga swing installation before any session, to ensure the gear is safe to use.
Whether you opt to install yoga swing on the ceiling or on a doorframe, it’s important to observe safety protocols at all times.
Following the above safety tips will help to master aerial yoga poses fast while preventing the risk of injuries.
When it’s time to create an aerial yoga set up in your house, you will have a few options to consider.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the available options so that you can choose the setup that works best for you.
- Doorframe pull-up bars: Doorframe pull-up bars provide one of the easiest and fastest means of hanging yoga swing at home. It’s also a preferred method for people living in tight spaces. What makes it such a popular means of hanging inversion slings at home is that you don’t need to be a professional rigger to install them. And you will be done within ten minutes or even less. So, if you are looking for a simple, fast and convenient means of installing yoga swings at home, then doorframe pull-up bars provide the best option.
- Freestanding yoga swing stand: In simple terms, a freestanding yoga swing stand is a frame designed to support yoga swings. These stands are normally made of top-quality and durable aluminum or stainless steel, thus making them ideal for supporting heavy loads. While freestanding yoga swing stands tend to be more expensive than the other rigging options, they are the most versatile. Unlike doorframe bars, you can use yoga swing stands indoors or outdoors, depending on where you want to work out.
- Ceiling hooks: Ceiling hooks also provide another affordable, simple and fast means of hanging your anti-gravity yoga swings at home. But before you install the hooks, you will first need to identify a strong and sturdy area of the ceiling where you can attach the hooks. As much as this rigging method may need some handy skills, it provides a reliable, long-term solution for doing aerial yoga at home.
You just need to choose a rigging option that suits your space, budget, personal preferences and available anchor points.
Yoga Swings Accessories
After installing yoga swings at home, you will need some additional pieces, bits and accessories, to make your workouts even more comfortable.
Here are some additional accessories that you may need to extend your aerial yoga swings rigging:
- Extension straps / daisy chains: As their name indicates, extension straps are mainly used to make yoga hammock swings longer. A set of daisy chains is usually provided with your yoga swing, as this is generally required for securing it to the rigging that you have, whether it be a freestanding set up or over a tree branch. However, If your ceilings are too high, then you can use these extension straps to lower your yoga swing to a level you are comfortable with.
- Carabiners: Carabiners are a great and you can use them to attach the different parts of your rigging. Most hammocks and swings come with s-hooks or carabiners. And if you opt to purchase them separately, make sure you go for climbing-grade carabiners.
- Swing swivel: After you’ve mastered the basics of aerial yoga, you may now proceed to rotational or spinning movement. And to perform these poses, your rigging will need a mechanism to help you rotate. And this is where a swing swivel comes in. They are designed to help aerialists swivel or rotate from a single point.
- Suspension systems: Another devise that may be required or you may prefer to use is an aerial suspension system, which consist of heavy duty springs which cushions your movements. It is secured to a single point overhead, as apposed to needing two separate anchor points and can provide the 360 degree swivel movement if you like.
Factors to Consider When Buying Yoga Swings and Hammocks
As you probably know, you will be relying on your aerial yoga swings to support your entire body weight. Therefore, you must purchase high-quality gear that can comfortably support you when you are hanging and help you to perform your poses safely.
Here are some of the things to look out for when buying aerial equipment:
- Size of hammock: Yoga hammocks are available in different sizes, with the most common size being 8 feet by 5 feet. However, you are not limited to this size alone. You can purchase a smaller one or a bigger one depending on where you will be hanging the hammock or your body size.
- Weight capacity: Whether you intend to attach your yoga swing on a doorframe or ceiling, it’s always important to check its weight limit. Most hammocks can support an average load of 400 to 600 pounds. If you intend to be performing tandem poses with your partner on the same swing, then you should go for one that can support that load accordingly.
- Type of swing: Yoga swings come in different types and designs. For instance, antigravity yoga swings are equipped with padded foam handles, which you can use to perform a wide range of poses. Aerial Hammocks don’t have handles, which means you can’t perform some of the poses. Whether you choose one with handles or not will depend on how much versatility you want within your practice.
- Material: The best yoga swings and hammocks are made of highly durable and sturdy parachute-grade material. While you may come across some cheaper options online, don’t go for a yoga swing made of other materials. Remember you will be relying on this hammock to support your body weight when you are suspended in the air. So, if you choose a low-quality hammock, it may end up falling apart and injuring you.
- Ease of installation: If you are a beginner, then you should choose a hammock that is easy to install. And if it’s too complicated to install, then you should look for someone who knows how to mount yoga swings.
Before you go ahead to buy yoga swings, make sure you keep these factors in mind. But most importantly, buy the best yoga swing equipment that your money can afford.
Closing Remarks On Yoga Swings Rigging
If you love aerial yoga, installing yoga swings at home will provide you with a convenient means of performing your favorite poses.
However, make sure you choose something secure, sturdy, well balanced, and functionally aligned to your needs.